A place for all things delicious

champagne taste on a beer budget

Friday, May 20, 2011

Something Borrowed/Something Blue...thoughts?

Something Old- a friendship
Something New- a man
Something Borrowed- a fiance
Something Blue- ummm...your mood?

You're blue because you either just blindsided your bestie and stole her finace or you are the bestie that got blindsided.


Something Borrowed was ehhhhh.  Middle of the road.  I wasn't expecting much to be honest because the books were phenomenal (both Something Borrowed and Something Blue - Emily Giffin you're my favorite).  Usually phenomenal books (Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood) turn into disappointing movies.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't make a Bergedorf Blondes movie.  Please, Plum Sykes don't let it happen!  For the most part, I thought it was a poor choice of actresses (not the actors, just the ladies) when it comes to Something Borrowed

Dex is as handsome and dapper as I pictured- Hi Colin Egglesfield where'd YOU come from?










and HELLOOOOO...Jim from the office (John Krasinski) as Ethan makes my heart melt.











So as far as the ladies go...here's my beef-

Darcy is described as olive skinned with dark glossy hair.  Kate Hudson is adorable and cute but a dark haired, olive skinned beauty she is not.  Also, I don't like the way she portrayed Darcy.  I get it that in the first book (Something Borrowed) she is supposed to be the bitch.  The one who steals the spotlight/thunder away from her not as gorge and outgoing BFF.  Darcy was too reminiscent of Liv, Kate's Bride Wars character.  I just think they made her toooooo bitchy.  I am normally a big fat sucker for Kate...I  think she is adorable (although she miiiiiight want to invest in a lil botox?), funny and duhhhhhh Goldie's daughter.  I love her boho, beachy, blondes have more fun, California girl look.  But this movie - not so much.

Rather than Kate, I would have chosen someone along the lines of Rachel Bilson or Jessica Alba maybe.  A striking brunette for sure.  I actually pictured her exactly how I pictured Lila Fowler from the Sweet Valley books.  Lila was always my favorite, apparently I have always loved the mean girls.


Rachel Bilson...stunning and has the sass-factor down pat from playing bitch-tastic Summer Roberts on the OC.


Now for Rachel....I am really reeeeeeeally sick of seeing Ginnifer Goodwin playing these unlucky in love, plain-jane, almost pitiful characters.  Really.  I mean Gigi from He's Just Not That Into You and Vivian Cash from Walk The Line are characters that almost make me cringe for them.  Give the girl a new role!  I just don't see her as Rachel who snags a looker such as Dex.  Go ahead and call me shallow.  Also - her bangs bugged me the whole movie.

Rather than Ginnifer Goodwin playing the same character yet again, how about Kristen Bell?  Not a typical bombshell blonde but obvi still pretty.  I actually picture someone with more mousy brown hair as Rachel like she is described in the books. 


Maybe make her a little dowdy? Frump-ify the girl a little? Up the plain factor some?




I actually like the character Darcy and feel for her more so than Rachel after reading Something Blue.  Darcy's story struck something with me.  Maybe it was the betrayal of both BFF and fiance.  Rachel- YOU DON'T DO THAT TO YOUR BFF!  I know, I know, she slept with Marcus and is prego but still...BFF and fiance betrayed you!  Double whammy! 




Linzo says: Read the books...duhhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment